RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Hey Beasts....I know there are a few Locklear related discussions going on, but I wanted to do something specifically related to your thoughts about the movie, from a typical movie review standpoint.

So, pretend that you've been given the task of reviewing the movie for you local paper (or better yet, pretend your review is going on the back of the DVD) :)

Let's hear it! We're gonna read these on the live show.

Views: 720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, these are details that really shaped the movie. we were hoping people would appreciate all the serendipity! thanks!

MissEC (Landshark) said:
My review would have too many spoilers in it for a local paper. But I would like to point out some of the magical serendipitous moments that took place throughout this movie:
1) Finding Carnell Locklear (such a gem!) and how he launched the journey into such an unexpected direction with finding homes for puppies and asking people about Miss Locklear along the way
2) The journey started at the perfect time--just enough time to find out about the Lumbee Festival and how that brought a whole new dimension to the movie. Can you imagine the movie if they started just a month or two later?
3) The journey took you to the mom of one of the members of Driven--would you have gotten on that stage any other way to sing your song to everyone?
4) The moment when you came face to face with Miss Locklear and how the sunlight just beamed from behind her as the rest of the lights were out--no one could have planned that!
thanks Bethany! were you able to post it on Amazon as well?

Bethany Welcher said:
This film captured the beauty of life. The movie began with Rhett and Link re-enacting some of their old childhood memories. These were not only humorous, but also nostalgic and reminiscent of the simplicity of childhood. For me this captured the beauty of a child's innocence. It reminded me of my childhood. I met my best friend in first grade as well, so I have always appreciated Rhett and Links friendship. They prove that friendship can stand the test of time. The idea of finding their first grade teacher, the teacher who brought them together, was a great way to reflect on the friendship they have created.

Their trip down memory lane is the beginning of their journey, but along the way they meet people and let those people share their stories. This takes their movie to the next level. The movie could have easily been a road trip movie completely focused on clues to the destination, but they made it a movie about a bigger journey, life’s journey. They allow the people they meet along the way to share their lives with us. They capture the emotion so well that you feel like you know these people. There is one point where a man talks about his son who has passed away, that moved me to tears. They capture the strength of the human spirit. They show peoples struggles, and then show how they strive to overcome and always keep hope. Their mission is not accomplished easily; they take many twists and turns along the way. This film gives us hope for new beginnings and helps us to cherish and remember our past.
My Amazon post below:

This film is for anyone and every one.

I live in a small town called Napier in New Zealand, and I am about as far from North Carolina as you can possibly get. (its just a convenient 25 hr flight!)

Rhett and Link have been able to capture something that everyone, no matter where they live can relate to in some way.

A thoroughly enjoyable film beginning to end.
Here's the longer Amazon version:

As a fan of Rhett & Link's online work, I was excited to see what they would do with a feature-length documentary. I must admit that part of me was a little apprehensive, I mean, these two gentlemen can certainly "internetain" me in 3 minute YouTube videos, but could they pull off that same energy and hold my attention for an hour?

Well, I watched it, and the answer to my previous query is "yes, YES! They certainly can!" Although the movie is not technically perfect, it adds to the charm of the entire adventure. (And it certainly doesn't hurt that they describe what technical difficulties they had in filming.) In fact, it helps draw the viewer into the journey. And what a journey it was! Link and Rhett chose to not make use of "modern technology" in searching for their first grade teacher, which was an interesting choice for two guys who make their living entertaining people via the internet. They opted to look for Ms. Locklear through talking to people, and it made for an interesting ride.

It seemed appropriate that the person-to-person method of "Looking for Ms. Locklear" led them into the folds of the Lumbee Indian culture. It lent a certain depth to the documentary that stunned me. I commend Rhett & Link for letting their search lead them, and I felt like they took me along every step of the way. To sum it all up without giving too much away: I laughed, I cried, and then I watched it again.
Out of 10, for a documentary, I would give it a 7.2.

The actual movie was very mixed and it had that real feel that many movies don't have. You guys gave it emotion, and it was really funny. It had you two's broad range of humor, and you two turned almost any situation rightside up. The journey through which you found Ms. Locklear was very tense, and whenever I thought you would find her, you didn't. I almost believed that you would never find her. Near the end, when you were at court, it felt like a totally different movie for a couple minutes, which I can understand why you put in there but I don't feel was needed. The interviews and etc you had with people were fairly well done.

Good Job on your first movie:)

CONGRATS ! ! ! Months later and still getting rave reviews from both critics and viewers:

this movie was a great story of finding a long lost teacher, but not only that, finding many  heart-warming characters. this movie was great from the start until the credits. it deserves all the attention in the world, for it is funny, smart, heart-warming, and overall a great gift for anybody looking for a laugh, a tear, and a good time. thanks rhett and link for such a great movie.
This is a great one buy it....

really has nothing to do with anything..

Serendipity, mighty good luck. like finding a buck or a bullet coming at you when you duck.

learned that in 9 th grade.. it was in a vocabulary rap.. yeeea. idk. that the only word i remembered.

Link (Chiasquatch) said:

yes, these are details that really shaped the movie. we were hoping people would appreciate all the serendipity! thanks!

MissEC (Landshark) said:
My review would have too many spoilers in it for a local paper. But I would like to point out some of the magical serendipitous moments that took place throughout this movie:
1) Finding Carnell Locklear (such a gem!) and how he launched the journey into such an unexpected direction with finding homes for puppies and asking people about Miss Locklear along the way
2) The journey started at the perfect time--just enough time to find out about the Lumbee Festival and how that brought a whole new dimension to the movie. Can you imagine the movie if they started just a month or two later?
3) The journey took you to the mom of one of the members of Driven--would you have gotten on that stage any other way to sing your song to everyone?
4) The moment when you came face to face with Miss Locklear and how the sunlight just beamed from behind her as the rest of the lights were out--no one could have planned that!

Hey guys, 

I thought I would revive this discussion since I just watched your movie. (Sorry I'm a bit behind) :D

It is simply amazing. Well worth the money but I really wish that it was free so more people would see it. I paid to rent it but now I will absolutely buy the DVD so I can show my friends and family. I think this is a beautiful story of teacher appreciation and I can surely relate to it. I had a teacher in 5th grade who realized that I learned in a different way than all of my classmates. She taught me how to learn and it changed my school experience completely. 

I have to say, you guys have made an incredible life for yourselves and finding Ms. Locklear and crediting her was one of the kindest things that I have ever encountered. I realize that you didn't use technology and phone books for the sake of entertainment/making a good documentary but finding her by any means necessary and making her aware of her impact in your lives is inspirational. It is such a wonderful surprise to find out that you have impacted another person so much that they remember you so vividly 10+ years later; that was probably the greatest gift you could have given her. 

I wish every student would do that for the teacher that impacted them most. I am willing to bet that that teacher would also remember their name as Ms. Locklear remembered both of yours.

Thank you for this Rhett and Link, I will purchase it and one day hopefully be able to share it with my children.

Iz awezome!

I'm about to watch this tonight, probably rented on YouTube (first time for me to do try YouTube rentals) - really looking forward to it having seen the trailer! Looks better than I'd even imagined from the title! Congrats you guys. I'll try to come back and leave a review.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service