RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

On Monday's GMMore episode (March 28), we had a lovely visitor (technically two lovely visitors). We had the brilliant Bill Newman and his friend Roger on the show (or at least through Skype). In case you still don't know who Bill is, he's a singer whose CD was found at a thrift store and was used/listened to in the GMM episode 5 Weird Things You Can Do with Peanut Butter. Rhett and Link played his CD and seemed to really like his song "Barcelona". His popularity boosted immediately from this publicity and he got a lot more attention thus leading to the events of Monday's GMMore. At one point, Bill and Roger actually performed Barcelona! It was amazing (and Rhett and Link sang along in a bit of it too). However, Link did "a little bit" of rapping/talking during Bill's performance and this caused a lot of commotion in the comments. Many say that this was very disrespectful and rude to Bill and that Link should've just kept his mouth shut (in fact, basically every comment about the performance is something like "Link shut up") and that it ruined the performance. Some are even demanding an apology. Very few say that they actually liked Link's commentary/rap/whatever it was that he did. Some argue that this is just Link's personality and that they wouldn't expect any less (well, they might but it's Link - he's sometimes unpredictable).

This is just my bitcoin in a nutshell -

Would the performance have been more pleasant if Link didn't rap? Yes

Do I hate Link for it? No! 

Was it disrespectful and impolite? Probably but what do I know?

Should he have done it? Preferably not but I guess that was just his way of trying to entertain us and still being noticed and/or his way of showing that he was enjoying the song

This reminds me a bit of Link's rap from this GMMore

What do you think? Was this act impolite or was it just Link enjoying the performance in his own way? Also, do you think that we've made too much of a fuss out of this? BYMB!

Views: 5038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes!!! Hopefully if he is one time in the area, they should do something together

If I ever get to submit a question to Rhett and Link that they actually have to answer, it's going to be how they endure all the negative comments that inevitably come once you become an Internet celebrity (or how they resist being sucked into arguments with their own commenters). I used to think that the Youtuber/Internetainer job looked fun until I made the mistake of actually reading a lot of the comments on Youtube.

I permanently gave up on the idea of trying a Youtube channel of my own (for the giggles and to see if I could get more than 25 views on a video) after I watched how people essentially Internet-lynched Intern Drew over his squeamishness about eating fish jizz. I couldn't deal with that kind of nastiness. I'd be right there in the comments throwing verbal punches with everyone while they dogpile on me.

So, kudos to Rhett and Link's (and the crew's) patience. Link, just be you, don't feel bad. I'm sure you realized long ago that there is a subsection of the people that watch you guys who aren't true Mythical Beasts so much as they are entitled, snarky brats (it's the same across all of the Interwebz). You average 300k+ views on most GM More episodes, and you probably got at most a few dozen bad comments on this subject. It's that minority talking again, and is not indicative of what most people think.

True words

Minor correction: Drew isn't an intern. He's a producer on the same level as Stevie. :)

I don't know where I got the idea in my head that he was an intern. Maybe because he's new?

That's great, though. Just goes to show that minor appearances on GM More is not the entirety of what he was hired to do. :-)

Wasn't there a Facebook video post where the crew was reading mean comments directed at them?

I somehow agree and disagree.

If I have to be completely honest I felt like during most of the time they were making fun of him, and Link's "rapping" was part of it. But it don't think he did it to be rude or disrespectful, it's just his way to be funny without thinking too much about what others would think. And that's what makes the show real (and Link adorable). And I'm pretty sure even Bill realised that he was just joking and being funny. So am I going to complain about it? Nope, Link has always been this way and I'm totally cool with it. 

Personally, I didn't like the interruptions, but I was also thinking in the back of my mind that maybe that's how Link likes to enjoy music, since I know there's a lot of people who do that (same w/ movies sometimes too).

I'm re-watching the episode right now, and technically, Rhett said he was ready to step in with the female background vocals, and Bill says, "Well, step in if you like." He wasn't specific as to how, but it didn't seem to bother him when Link went on. It seemed like they all just had a lot of fun. :) 

Also, Rhett's reactions were pretty sweet. I bet you he probably went and learned how to play the song on guitar after that session, haha. Pretty cool to hear the harmonies too!

Thank you Bill & Roger, and thank you Rhett and Link for sharing that awesome experience with us! 

As soon as I heard Link step in, I knew that people would get annoyed. It's the internet, that's just what people do. I personally had no problem with it though.

I didn't mind! I think it was just Link being Link

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service