Because so many new members to the Kommunity ask this question,
I decided to put my standard response into a blog and link it to the
Rhett & Link 101 information page
HOW TO GET A MYTHICAL BEAST NAME IN SEVEN EASY STEPS
- Travel deep into the forest and chop down a large oak tree. Minimum 27.5" radius, although the tree's height is irrelevant for this application.
- Keep the tree stump moistened by spraying liberally with a 50/50 mixture of soured buttermilk and billy goat urine every day until the stump rots to below ground level (approx. 3 1/2 years)
- Once sufficiently rotted, dig a pit three feet deep by five feet in diamater where the oak tree once stood. Coat the pit with a mixture of red clay soil, chopped straw and boysenberry jam. Allow the clay mixture to dry for 24 hours, then fill the pit with red-hot coals from a fire burning either cedar or bald cypress logs and "season" the pit walls until it becomes hardened to red brick consistency.
- For best results, the remaining steps must be carried out at midnight of the first full moon following Summer Solstice and while wearing glow-in-the-dark night clothing such as illustrated below.
Well, okay, the timing is mandatory. Wearing the jammies is just because I think it's funny.
Available at: http://snugasabug.com/adult-footed-pajamas/glow-in-the-dark
- Fill the stump pit with boiled oatmeal seasoned with cinnamon and honey.
- Hide behind the nearby shrubbery with a flashlight and net as you wait to capture the pixies and fairies that come to feast on the oatmeal. You can try capturing by hand if you think you are quick enough, but be very careful not to crush or damage any of the woodland creatures as this would be a violation of International Fairy Protection laws.
- Solicit mythical beast name suggestions from the captured pixies and faeries, and then release them back into the woods. Most authorities on this subject recommend that you gather at least seven (7) mythical beast name suggestions. It is also better to take one or two suggestions from several different woodland creatures instead of several suggestions from one woodland creature, just in case you have captured one that is totally insane or just plain dumb. Additionally, gathering a larger pool of name suggestions will allow you to make your best and final name selection at your leisure back at home while sipping a cup of hot cocoa. And who doesn't like that?
DO NOT solicit names from any elves, sprites, goblins or gnomes that might come to the pit for
a snack, as these ethereal creatures are all know to be notoriously bad namer givers.
- Alternative Method:
- Just make up one that you like. Just about anything is fair game; keep it clean and "family friendly". Then go into the "Settings" tool and add the name you select behind your human or otherworldly name in parentheses. That's about it.
Additional suggestions are given by Katie (Unicorndawg) at her discussion topic:
Illustration by Marcus Bean (El Gran Rato)