RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Rhett and Link: didn't you guys grow up in North Carolina? Well it seems like you only selectively have accents. I noticed on the behind the scenes Gaucamole video that the ladies in your lives have southern accents. Just wondering if you make an effort to NOT sound southern?

Views: 2649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our accents fluctuate based on how relaxed we are, where we are, and who we're with. It's just part of speaking to a lot of people in a lot of different settings. For instance, in vlogs or on the show, we typically speak more "neutrally". You might call it the newscaster factor. It's not a question of being ashamed of our southern accents...it's just that it's easy to get pigeon-holed in the entertainment industry if you have a strong accent.
He's right, a north carolinian's (at least a lillingtonian like myself) accent depends on who you are talking to, because for some reason if the person your talking to has a deep southern accent, you are more likely to talk with a southern accent. Most people don't have deep southern accents here, but the words we used compared to "yanks" are very different and in result we get called rednecks. A good example is in the north, a lot of people say dinner instead of supper. It's very complex and hard to explain the mystery of accents.

Rhett (Shahbaz) said:
Our accents fluctuate based on how relaxed we are, where we are, and who we're with. It's just part of speaking to a lot of people in a lot of different settings. For instance, in vlogs or on the show, we typically speak more "neutrally". You might call it the newscaster factor. It's not a question of being ashamed of our southern accents...it's just that it's easy to get pigeon-holed in the entertainment industry if you have a strong accent.
Agreed, I'm from another part of North Carolina. In college I spoke rather "neutral", but on coming home for breaks I could hear my accent change when talking to family and such, without necessarily trying to - it was like it was easier to speak slower, etc, or something.

Oddly however, while in college in GA, an older gentleman asked, "You wouldn't happen to be from Hickory, NC, would you?"

"Uh, yes"

"I could tell by your accent."

I never realized you could pin-point an accent that accurately. It's my new ambition in life.
good luck with that Derek. I have found it interesting that when speaking with someone with a heavy British accent, such as from England or Australia, that I start to sound like them too. Which is weird, since I grew up in Illlinois. (ell- i- noy not illiNOISE--- I hate that.)
I also would like to point out to Daniel that I too, call the meal after lunch supper. I call lunch dinner sometimes, however. So maybe there are better vocabulary examples? Like what do you call soda for example? pop? sodEE? soda pop? coke ( as a general term for soda).?

Derek Detweiler (Yellue Rooster) said:
Agreed, I'm from another part of North Carolina. In college I spoke rather "neutral", but on coming home for breaks I could hear my accent change when talking to family and such, without necessarily trying to - it was like it was easier to speak slower, etc, or something.

Oddly however, while in college in GA, an older gentleman asked, "You wouldn't happen to be from Hickory, NC, would you?"

"Uh, yes"

I never realized you could pin-point an accent that accurately. It's my new ambition in life.
In north carolina we just call soda "soda" it's that simple.

Rebekah the Sphinx said:
good luck with that Derek. I have found it interesting that when speaking with someone with a heavy British accent, such as from England or Australia, that I start to sound like them too. Which is weird, since I grew up in Illlinois. (ell- i- noy not illiNOISE--- I hate that.) I also would like to point out to Daniel that I too, call the meal after lunch supper. I call lunch dinner sometimes, however. So maybe there are better vocabulary examples? Like what do you call soda for example? pop? sodEE? soda pop? coke ( as a general term for soda).?
Derek Detweiler (Yellue Rooster) said:

"Uh, yes"

I've noticed that you deliver your vlogs "neutrally" as you putt it Rhett, but when i see you guys talking in Looking for Ms. Locklear your NC accents really comes through, but i figure the socializing with the locals did that right?

Rhett (Shahbaz) said:
I used to travel quite a bit for work quite a bit and, being from South Louisiana, was a bit conscious about my accent. Mind you, it's not nearly as deep as most of my cousins "down 'da bayou" - - since I grew up in Baton Rouge instead of Paincourtville - - but it's still there. So, if I was traveling to New York for instance I would try and tone it down a bit.

Then one time, on a business trip to Chicago, I was speaking with the CFO of the client and happened to use "Ya'll" about the third time that day. She chimed back, in that nasally Fargo-esque accent she had never lost from her native Wisconsin, "Youse guys talk so funny, don't ya know!"

My Southern accent has never been an issue since.
Accents are amazing that way. I am envious because, being from the D.C. area - and also being someone who has lived in the south for only brief periods - I've never really had an accent. When I was 5 and lived in Alabama, I did. But when I was 7, we moved to Virginia Beach, VA and that's a land of light-to-no accents.

My sister makes fun of the way I pronounce certain things, though. Like "pinguins" and "hevn't"... I don't know what that's all about. Maybe I'm secretly a New Zealand parrot-lover.

My college friend from Minnesota had a neutral way of speaking, except when she'd come back from Christmas break, when she'd just spent a month in Minneapolis. Then my other roommates and I would have to hide our laughter whenever she said things like "both" or "phone" or any other word.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service