RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

By pure luck one day, in summer of '09. Reading tech blogs like I always do. Or maybe I was browsing through iPhone apps. One catches my eye. An ad for Smule's Leaf Trombone made by two funny guys. It was a theme from some circa-90's TV show. It was awesome. But then, I had seen both of them before. In an online TV show, making songs. Having recognized them, I went to their website. And I found RhettandLink. The second video I saw was the country taco bell order song. I was ecstatic. I loved the song and the video. I showed my cousins, and my family. Everyone loved it. Fast forward to 2010. Around the end of January. Rhettandlink make The Perfect Bathroom Trip. I loved it. But the director, and first shown actor in the video, Julian Smith caught my eye. I looked into him. And I found my two favorite Youtubers. Forward to May 2010. AKA, now. 

How do you become an internetainer? 
The category of this question is definitely 'Burning Questions for RhettandLink'.
Yes, I do know how to use Youtube. Yes, I know that it sounds like an idiotic question. No, I'm not an idiot. At least I think I'm not. 

The question I'm asking here, is not how to internetain people, or to make people laugh. You can't be taught that talent. Either you're born with it, or you're not. Rhettandlink, or Julian Smith were born with it. If I am or not will have to be seen. The question is how to make people see your videos. When was Rhettandlink's big break? How were you discovered on youtube? Besides being good at it, and funny, what made people see your videos and make you become popular on youtube?

Sorry if it's long, and if I wasted time, but I wanted to give some backround before jumping out and saying, 'so, how do I become an internetainer?', and then looking like a nerdy idiot. 

Do I need to finish it? Well, hope you read this, looking for answers, I have burning ideas in my head that I think could be funny, but it's no use making it and then having nobody watch it. 

Thanks Mythical Beasts and R&L,
Mythical Beast Deullow

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question Johny. I think a lot of our success is due to the time at which we started. We got into the YouTube game in 2006. We posted a lot of videos for over a year before people really started watching them. But, when we finally started to get noticed, youtube was still a relatively small site and it was easier to get seen. Also, that was back in the day when youtube homepage features happened everyday, and they meant A LOT. We got featured two times in 2007, and that got us really rolling. The rest has been a slow build since then.

So, what's my advice for someone getting started today? I have to believe that making killer content is still the cornerstone. If you're making great stuff and your making enough of it, it will get seen eventually. If you can tap into the ebb and flow of current events and/or pop culture, that can be a good way to get noticed, too.
Thanks for the advice Rhett, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

[now to come with a seriously unlame Mythical Beast name......]

Rhett (Shahbaz) said:
Good question Johny. I think a lot of our success is due to the time at which we started. We got into the YouTube game in 2006. We posted a lot of videos for over a year before people really started watching them. But, when we finally started to get noticed, youtube was still a relatively small site and it was easier to get seen. Also, that was back in the day when youtube homepage features happened everyday, and they meant A LOT. We got featured two times in 2007, and that got us really rolling. The rest has been a slow build since then.

So, what's my advice for someone getting started today? I have to believe that making killer content is still the cornerstone. If you're making great stuff and your making enough of it, it will get seen eventually. If you can tap into the ebb and flow of current events and/or pop culture, that can be a good way to get noticed, too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service