RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Disney has bought Star Wars seemingly...and thus are gonna make more..

I've got a bad feeling about this

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disney to make new 'Star Wars' films after buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A decade after George Lucas said "Star Wars" was finished on the big screen, a new trilogy is destined for theaters as The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it was buying Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion.

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

full story here:  http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=771595

When Lucas first started out with the story there were actually 12 episodes that he wanted to tell in the same fashion as the old Flash Gordon series.  Although it's dated 4 years now, here is a good response to the question, "How many Star Wars episodes are there?"

The new series will likely be from Lucas' recommendation on the "third trilogy" of books written by Timothy Zahn . . . the titles of those books are:

• Heir To The Empire
  • Dark Force Rising
  • The Last Command

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090122093121AAQ4kGw

Oh, please someone make it stop.

I second this motion Victoria. I mean, there only comes a series of books as great as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings every 50 years or so, and this is just gonna kill it.

Sorry to be a minority here, but I absolutely LOVED the prequels. I have read a ton of the old book series (favorite is Rouge squadron!) and I don't see what's so awful about them.  Granted, I am a child (almost 15) and the prequels were the first ones I saw. Nevertheless, to this day, The first and second prequels are some of my favorite movies of all time! I am a defender of George Lucas' creative decisions, My Socratic teacher Mr. Simmons (college prep school teacher) watches the clone war cartoon network episodes avidly. We are some of the very few GL defenders on the internet, hear us roar. ROOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHAAAAAGGHHHHHH.

The first three released where good but the rest were to influenced by the producers and was just to flashy and posey.

See, can and will succeed.
Although, "A New Hope", "the Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" is a classic!

i hope they dont throw a jar jar and stuff it up again...........  

Listen, if they could at least get some good actors and develop believable, relatable characters, they might have a fighting chance at making some good movies. Better than the prequels at least. Those character relationships (and how they were acted out) just sucked.

As good as the movies might even possibly be, they're fatally behind from the start. There is no way that the new ones could even compare to the old ones, if even only for the reason of nostalgia. So in other words, it's doomed just for being developed. A noble ambition, fulfilling Lucas' true wishes and all, but one I'm afraid won't succeed.

I suppose their potential success is more a question of how many new fans they could attract. You're right that any new movies are doomed from the start with people who grew up on the original Star Wars trilogy -- but I suspect Disney is banking less on keeping the old fans happy and more on attracting new fans in order to swell the base and popularity of an already huge franchise. Keep it current, I guess.

Now wait just one cotton picking minute . . . you don't suppose they're just doing all this just for the money as some sort of a huge publicity stunt, do you?

EPIC!!! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service