RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Address:        between Fifth and Sixth Avenues / 40th and 42nd Streets in Midtown Manhattan,

New York City, NY, USA

meet up at:   Shaw Lowell’s Memorial Fountain. (#11 on this: map)

Your Host:    Anita (Caladrius)Karyn (Greater Horned Dingle)  

Views: 1111

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Tentative Location: Bryant Park http://www.bryantpark.org/

It's safest to plan big, and this is the best feasible site to accommodate a large group of people (that I could think of, at least).

There are other sites that could work and may be preferred if, as time draws nearer, we are still a small group. (See attached Venn diagram. Pardon the sloppiness; I did most of my planning/thinking while on the subway. Anyone is welcome to recreate this in a graphic format.)

Any discussion on this? 

Attachments:

Bryant Park looks like a GREAT site . . . at least three restaurants plus coffee kiosk and sidewalk food venders (a.k.a. dirtwater dogs) . . . ample outdoor seating and tables if the weather is nice . . . indoor spaces to duck into if it turns ugly . . . a carousel . . . various board and lawn game areas available (many free of charge) including scrabble, mancala, dominoes, bananagrams, playing cards, Chinese checkers, Jenga, Apples to Apples, and more. 

I see that they have ping pong tables, Pétanque (French lawn bowling) and Quoits (ring toss game), but couldn't find the CORNHOLE area so you may have to provide your own.

NYC might turn out to be the best MythiCon site ever!

Thanks, Gumbo. ^_^ I do hope it turns out great! 

Full disclosure: One of those restaurants is a fancy grill (where lunch is $25-30, if you're not getting appetizers). The cafe is run by the grill, and its prices are lower, but still quite steep.

I don't recall there being sidewalk food vendors the last time I passed by. But there might be, so we'll leave that as a "maybe." The food kiosks ('wichcraft) will definitely be there, and are the most reasonable, with their $9 sandwiches.

As a lunch spot, Bryant Park is overpriced. But, as you've noticed, there are so many other things to make up for that. It's a place to go for fun. If anything, the Beasts can bring their own lunch, or eat before and stick to buying snacks while here.  

In case of rain, there are tables and chairs in outdoor tented areas. (I wouldn't count on getting a large group into a park restaurant.) We could also enter the NY Public Library, which is free, located in the park, and one of the most architecturally gorgeous places in NYC. It routinely has exhibits, and is more like a museum than a library. We would have to be on our mythically best behavior, if we do this.       

Interested in helping? Here's what we need: 

1. A reliable co-host, in case I drop out. (My father is in precarious health.) Hosting 

2. An artistic sign-maker. In case it's not the co-host. You do not want it to be me.  
The sign will be needed to help us find each other on location. Bryant Park is big and full of visitors.  

3. Recruiters: 

There are literally hundreds of Mythical Beasts listed in the NY metro area. (Though most have not been active in years.) I've currently committed to contacting Beasts listed under "New York, NY" who've joined the kommunity or shown signs of life in the past year. 

STILL, there are so many neighborhoods in NYC. A "New York, NY" search will only show Manhattan-dwellers. We need to reach Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, and the various and sundry neighborhoods in Queens (Astoria, Woodside, Flushing, Jamaica, Elmhurst, etc.) And what about Westchester? Long Island? Jersey City?  

That sounds wonderful! Thank you!   

I would love to attend, unfortunately I can't be much help I spend all my time caring for my elderly grandma and my daughter.

I'd be glad just to have you join and to get to meet you. All my best to both your grandma and your little one. And especially to you, that you receive the grace and strength to be the caregiver you need to be!   

FYI - - - I've updated your location site info. 

If you go to the BatchGeo ~ MythiCon 2014 interactive map and zoom in to pin # B you will find that the entire park pathways have been captured by Google Street Maps . . . click on the little man icon and drag him down to take a virtual walk around the park.  Below is a screen capture of the Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain with the performance stage, lawn and library in the background.

Not until now did I realize that I've actually walked that park before when I noticed the sign for Nikola Tesla Corner at the intersection of West 40th Street & Avenue of the Americas.  Small world, huh?

Thank you! 

I'm in! Last year I ended up missing out on Mythicon because honestly I totally chickened out.  Thank you for writing to me, Anita! I see you need someone to make a sign, and I would be happy to do that. NYC is super easy to get to by train or bus for me, which is great because I'd personally much rather meet in a public park than a mall food court. Malls give me the heebie-jeebies. 

That's so great! And of course, please feel free to extend an invitation to anyone you know who may also be interested. 

A fellow mythical beast, Marisa -_-, has already volunteered to create a sign for the meet up.

Not that I would be opposed to having two, if you want to employ your formidable artistic prowess for the cause. It'd be fun to see. (Also, July is still 4 months away, a lot can happen, and having double coverage isn't a bad thing.) On the other hand, you might be more comfortable not having to lug a huge sign around on the train or bus.   It's up to you, really. :) 

I'm wondering whether you'd be interested in making a card with blank space inside for all the participants to sign or write messages. We can mail it to Rhett & Link. Perhaps along with a group photo. No pressure, just thought I'd ask. :)  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service