RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Perhaps one word or phrase where you come from might have another meaning where I come from?

Post examples below and lets find out some fun trivia about where we come from :)

Views: 813

Replies to This Discussion

In switzerland the funniest word is "Chuchichäschtli".
"Chuchichäschtli"--can you do a video clip pronouncing that for us and telling us the definition?
In Sweden we use to say "nu är du allt ute och cyklar" if you'd translate it, it would be "now you must be outside and riding a bike" and it mean "thats crazy talk!"
From Sweden There Are Words Like:

Julafton=Christmas

Dator=Computer

Grön=Green

Stol=Chair

Bord=Table

Just To Name A Few :)

From my "Aussie Slang Dictionary":

bee's knees - You don't literally look like you have tiny, little knees from a bee, but you're something special: the best

a bible-basher - strangely enough, a priest or religious fanatic (me)

bloke - quite obviously, an average chap

Bob's your uncle - we don't all have uncles named Bob, it means that everything's fine

chock-a-block/chockers - full or beyond capacity

cossie - swimming costume

crook - no good or ill

daks - pants or trousers (to be daked is to have your pants pulled down to your ankles)

That's all for now, I'll get more in later :)

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Im from the midlands in england and some people say things like "Gwin Wom pickup snappin" which means "im going home to get dinner".

well in Peterborough where my sister lives, they say "good ol' boy" or "good o'l girl" no matter if your old or not, you will be good old girl, or good old boy. It's as if we're all Labradors. The best thing i heard was someone in the pub who was talking to his friend about a christmas gift, his words were "Ah yeah its great some young old boy got it for me."

how does this even work. 

a lot of ppl have posted canadian sayings, so i'm going to say a british one i learned from harry potter:

snogging= kissing

that's all i know...

In Finland we say Helppo nakki, which means easy sausage instead of peace of cake. Idioms tend to be quite country specific. We also have many sauna related words that are hard to translate like löyly, which means the cloud of steam that bursts from kiuas (sauna's stove) when you throw water on it.

South Louisiana:  Laissez les bons temps rouler (French pronunciation: lɛse le bɔ̃ tɑ̃ ʁule)

is a Cajun French phrase literally translated from the English expression "Let the good times roll." The term is a Louisiana expression and especially prominent in New Orleans -- a cheerful reminder of why New Orleans is also coined the "Big Easy" - - which often comes up where Mardi Gras is celebrated, on local television, and on radio.

Yo.

In Lithuanian thank you is Ačiū, and it's pronounced as achiu and when you say it's sounds as someone just sneezed.

Sorry for my english :)

I live in Switzerland to I'll admit I can't speak swiss German however I understand it.
The word means kitchen cupboard right?
Are you actually Swiss? Or just living in Switzerland?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service