RhettandLinKommunity

Home of Rhett & Link fans - the Mythical Beasts!

Perhaps one word or phrase where you come from might have another meaning where I come from?

Post examples below and lets find out some fun trivia about where we come from :)

Views: 813

Replies to This Discussion

Eh! Well said, Dunehobbit!

Corrie J (Dunehobbit) said:
In Canada, we say lieutenant "leftenant", which honestly makes no sense to me, but that's what people say.
We also say roof with a long "oooo" sound, unlike some Americans.
This isn't really completely Canadian, but we turn a lot of "t" sounds into "d" sounds, like waderboddle and Oddawa, instead of waterbottle and Ottawa.
Canadians used to say the word kahki like "carkey", but not so much anymore... again, this is another one that makes no sense.
People in Saskatchewan call a hoodie a "bunny hug", and people would also call a hoodie a "kangaroo jacket".
Gonch means underwear.
Chesterfield is the traditional word for couch or sofa, but most people in Canada just say couch now.
We use "loonies", which are our one dollar coins. We also use "toonies", which are our two dollar coins.
Americans call "back bacon" Canadian bacon.
A double-double is is a coffee with two creams and two sugars (used at Tim Horton's, our original Canadian coffe shop).
We use the phrase "eh" to mean everything from a question ending (it's cold out, eh?) to a "huh?" to an agreement.
We started up the use of "hoser" (look up Bob and Doug Mckenzie on youtube).
An "Islander" refers to either someone from Vancouver Island (BC) or someone from the province of PEI (Prince Edward Island), depending on where you are in the country.
We have postal codes, not zip codes.

That's everything I can think of. :D
here in Rio Grande do Sul (a state in Brasil) we might say:
'mas bah tchê!'
I live (and always have) in the southeastern U.S. -- much like Rhett & Link. For us, a "yankee" is someone from the northeastern U.S. In the UK, we're all yankees over here. Other than that, I don't really know what is abnormal as compared to other English speaking places.

However, Yankees (as defined by the southeastern U.S.) have a funny saying. "If you want to share my pop, then suck your gutter." This means that, if you want to share a canned drink with me, suck out the remnants of the drink that ends up along the rim of the can so that I don't drink your backwash.
Well here in Germany, especialy in Soutwest Germany everything that has no special advantage is a " Glomb"
on long island, we dont call pizzas PIZZAS we call them PIES, like can i have a regular pie? lolz as well as ending a word with t and the starting a new one with you, like that your name, it would sound like That chur name.. lol.. chhhhhhhh sounds...
Well, I know here in my tiny corner of England (south-ish) Saying 'Alright?' as ''ite?' is...normal?
We also have chavs, which I've heard there aren't many of in America (if any?).
Urm, we have taps and sinks, not faucets and basins.
Ace, meaning awesome, or brilliant. Aggro, aggravation.
Oh, yeah. And we say Anti-Clockwise, not Counter-clockwise...what's up with that?
=D
Here in Lincolnshire, England we say things like:
" fancy a cuppa?"- do you want a cup of tea?
"Na, I'm alright"-no thank-you
and in areas like Scunthorpe calling someone gay is an everyday insult. i don't see the logic behind that one personally.
here in derbyshire playin loads on ur xbox360/ps3/pc is called "sweatin it out" the term seems real local since anyone outside the county has never heard of it?? also how bad is the emo problem in US, we get tons here what about across the pond?
wow lucky, you can wear flip flops in the summer, hear it's big coats and jackets all year round
I am from the north of england (specifically newcastle upon tyne) like dan and aswell as what he has listed we have a few more words that are uncommon elswhere:

"claggy" - This means sticky like a claggy toffee
"glakey" - Someone who does not pay attention to things around them
"yem" - Home
"hinny" - another name for lasses (young females) (we have lots of pet names that alot of very geordie people use like pet, love, hinny, e.t.c.)
"Hawway" - Come on e..g hawway the lads or hawway, hurry up
Theres also the classic "Whey aye" which is what people emulate when trying to speak with a geordie accent

Goerdies also tend to use the word like excesiviely too, usually on the end of sentences, specifically questions.
hey there james i'm form gainsborough, lincolnshire we do say Duck a lot and al rite and A up

James Vessey (The Morka) said:
Here in Lincolnshire, England we say things like:
" fancy a cuppa?"- do you want a cup of tea?
"Na, I'm alright"-no thank-you
and in areas like Scunthorpe calling someone gay is an everyday insult. i don't see the logic behind that one personally.
Hi, my name is Alex, I'm from Novosibirsk, Russia. Here in Novosibirsk we like to say "етижи-пассатижи" when we don't like something. In english it would sounds like "etizhi-passatizhi" and if you translate it, it would be something like "dizzy pliers". Actually, word "etizhi" isn't translating, but I think "dizzy" should do the trick.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Link.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service